Even though the South American champions, Uruguay won 2-1, the Super Eagles, according to the match statistics, had the upper hand in ball possession, 64% to Uruguay’s 44%, had 14 shots on goal to Uruguay’s nine, forcing their Head Coach, Oscar Tabarez to describe the Stephen Keshi-led lads as pride to football.
Speaking at a post match conference the veteran Uruguayan coach hailed the tenacity of the Eagles, adding that the game could have gone either way but his side had a little bit of more experience.
Top striker and Liverpool FC danger man, Luis Suarez, was seen walking away from the team’s bus in a black suit and trousers after the game apparently angry at his substitution midway in the second half of the match but some say he might be heading for contractual talks as he prepares for life after Liverpool.
On his own part, Keshi, said his team was very good on the night but were as usual wasteful. “We gave the game our all but you know Uruguay has been together for eight years and we are just rebuilding, sooner than later we will catch up with the rest of the best teams in the world.”
Before the match proper there were a lot of skirmishes between the Brazilian Police and protesters who insisted on stopping the game, because of what they perceived as corruption by those in government. As a result the Eagles and their officials came earlier for the game, same as their Uruguay counterparts.
At the end of the day, the police had the upper hand as the game went on as planned but the protest has continued to spread against the nation famous for producing some of the best footballers in history like Edson Arantes Dos Nascimento, popularly known as Pele.
Meanwhile stand-in Eagles skipper, Vincent Enyeama, has said the loss to Uruguay in the national team’s second game at the ongoing Confederation Cup, was so colossal that the team will have to do something special to defeat Spain in its next game.
He also blamed fatigue for the team’s loss, the same way Tony Ujah, who plays his club football in the German Bundesliga reasoned. Enyeama reacting to a question about the splendid play of the Eagles yet could not come out clean said: “It’s so painful that we played this well and were still on the losing side. I would been a happier person if we played badly and won the game”.
Ujah on his part says that flying from one end of the world to another in the last one month has been very tiring, especially as other teams were having a ball preparing for the tournament. “Though we don’t want to give any excuses but it’s obvious that our busy schedule has affected us today”.
Beyonce today congratulated Kanye West and Kim Kardashian on the birth of their new baby. She posted the congratulatory message on her tumblr page…
Posted by Linda Ikeji at 9:29 PM
Nollywood actor Chinedu Ikedieze’s late father, Mr Michael Ogbonnaya Ikedieze, who died May 18th, will be buried this Saturday June 22nd at their hometown of Uzuakoli in Abia State.
Posted by Linda Ikeji at 11:31 P
The veteran high life musician, who died on Wednesday June 12th, was buried yesterday June 13th at his building site at Ikorodu, Lagos. May his soul rest in peace..Amen.
Posted by Linda Ikeji at 6:30 PM
Its Saturday, here are the latest transfer gists around the streets
- New Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini took charge at the Etihad last night and admitted: “I must win the title.”
- Manchester United are ready to use the pulling power of Sir Alex Ferguson to help land Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Fabricio Coloccini has revealed he will be at Newcastle next season after admitting defeat in his attempts to go home.
- Michael Laudrup’s agent has kept the speculation surrounding the Swansea boss’ future bubbling by refusing to deny Paris Saint-Germain’s interest in him.
- Andre Schurrle has revealed he could not pass up the chance to work with Jose Mourinho.
- Luka Modric says Gareth Bale would “fit perfectly” at Real Madrid.
- Chelsea fear they are losing the race for Edinson Cavani after his father revealed the hitman had his heart set on a move to Real Madrid.
- Arsenal’s £20million move for Gonzalo Higuain has stalled because of Real Madrid’s managerial merry-go-round.
- West Ham will fork out a whopping £44million to land dream striker Andy Carroll.
- Luis Suarez insists he will not use the Confederations Cup spotlight to boost his chance of quitting Liverpool.
- Mark Schwarzer could be about to quit Fulham for Premier League newboys Hull.
- Unsettled Steven Reid could now sign a new deal with West Brom.
- Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino wants playmaker Joan Verdu from old club Espanyol.
- Manuel Pellegrini last night admitted he needs to win titles after finally being confirmed as Manchester City’s new boss.
- Alan Pardew wants to tweak Newcastle’s ‘buy young’ policy by landing Darren Bent.
- Turkish champions Galatasaray last night claimed they were poised to land Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel.
- Juventus schemer Claudio Marchisio last night opened the door to a potential move to Manchester United.
- Paolo Di Canio wants to bring in 10 players in a major shake-up at Sunderland.
- Tottenham are in talks with Corinthians over £17million-rated star Paulinho.
- Fulham are close to signing Wolves winger Bakary Sako in a £3million deal after agreeing wages of £30,000 per week.
- Crystal Palace boss Ian Holloway is reeling after being quoted a stunning £14million fee by old club Blackpool for Thomas Ince and Matt Phillips.
- New Wigan boss Owen Coyle could scoop a £1million bonus if he guides the Latics back to the Premier League.
- Ipswich are ready to battle Leicester for £850,000-rated Karl Henry from League One Wolves.
- Real Madrid are preparing to break the bank to blow Manchester United away and keep hold of Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Manuel Pellegrini admits there will be no excuse for failure after becoming the new Manchester City boss.
- Jose Mourinho wants Chelsea to make a major statement by signing Robert Lewandowski while he hopes the club complete their summer transfer business within a fortnight.
- Manuel Pellegrini is set for a double snub from Edinson Cavani and Isco.
- Steven Taylor is happy to snub a move to Arsenal to stay ‘living the dream’ at Newcastle.
- Crystal Palace want Kevin Phillips to play Premier League football into his 40s.
- Michael Laudrup’s agent has fuelled speculation about the future of the Swansea manager by refusing to deny Paris Saint-Germain’s interest in him.
- Liverpool insist their deal to sign Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas will go through despite claims it has been blocked by the Spanish Football Federation.
- Manuel Pellegrini has promised Manchester City he will win the Premier League and Champions League in his first season with stylish football.
- John Obi Mikel was last night in talks with Galatasaray over a £16million move as the first steps in Jose Mourinho’s clear-out at Chelsea began.
- West Ham co-owner David Gold has promised two major signings up front as final talks with Andy Carroll move closer.
- Hull are preparing a move for goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.
- Reading have signed Dutch international Royston Drenthe on a free transfer from Russian club Alania Vladikavkaz.
- Southampton have signed Lyon’s Croatian defender Dejan Lovren on a four-year deal.
- Manchester United are adamant that they will not let Wayne Rooney leave this summer and are harbouring hopes that the emotional pull of Old Trafford may be enough to persuade Cristiano Ronaldo to return to the club to partner him.
This post was written by
Tega Odumu – who has written 27 posts on 360Nobs.com
Multiple media outlets like Daily Mail, Us Weekly, Celebuzz and TMZ are reporting that Kim Kardashian has given birth to a baby girl, five weeks before she was due.
Kim Kardashian has given birth to a baby girl … TMZ has learned. Sources close to KK tell TMZ the baby and Kim are both in good health. We’re told Kim delivered the baby at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center this morning (Saturday June 15th)… 5 weeks sooner than originally planned. Our sources say BF Kanye West was there for the entire thing. We’re told Kanye cancelled his appearance at his own record release party last night when Kim told him she was feeling “a little off.” It is the first child for Kim and Kanye.
Posted by Linda Ikeji at 8:58 PM
Genevieve shared the photos on her instagram page today. She ran five miles for a breast cancer awareness charity project spearheaded by Mrs Onari Duke. P-Square’s Peter Okoye was also present at the race this morning.
Please go check yourself for breast cancer. I did mine two weeks ago. See more photos after the cut…
Posted by Linda Ikeji at 1:04 PM